On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Jeremy Ong <jeremycong@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the real war that should be waged is the one between people
> who think that there is "one true language" and those that are more
> polyglot oriented.

That's a very good point.   If you only know one tool, you force it to
fit all tasks.  ("If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a
nail").  This also gives perspective to the long wait for the "one
true language" since it cannot be both 'one' and 'true' ;)

For polygots to get on, there has to be interoperability.  That counts
against the "opinionated runtimes" (e.g. JVM, CLR) since you can
either join them or leave them.  I like C for many of the reasons I
like Lua:  flexible, pragmatic, small and fast to compile.

(There are cognitive factors in language adoption. I appear to be one
of those who find it difficult to wait for a compiler ;))