Many runtimes support interoperability though. It's easier if it's
thought of from the inception of the runtime. Examples include BEAM
(erl ports) and Haskell's FFI. C# has interoperability within the .Net
ecosystem. That said, some people don't have any need for interop at
all. This is true if you're running a sandboxed web/game server for
example.

As for compiler speed, I understand :). I fall in the camp of people
who are willing to wait because I believe the compiler is doing useful
work for me (type checking, static assertions, compile time
expressions, generics). This does mean I have to be proactive about
segmenting my code in smaller compilable units (library separation).
I'm more inclined to wait the more robust the type system is up to a
point. As compilers get better/faster, more parallelized, and more
heavily optimized, my hope is that the impatient programmers among us
won't feel like they're sacrificing too much time with a more heavily
compiled language.

Of course, there is the case when I can't tolerate compile times, and
that's when I'm scripting websites, UI, game behavior, or anything I
want immediate visual/audio feedback on. That's where things like Lua
come in.