I think you've written a well-thought out summary that brings to light
to issues well.

To me, the following list embodies all the "tensions" that each
programming language tries to resolve in its own way.

1. Type safety vs type flexibility
2. Lean runtime vs batteries included
3. Small syntax vs expressive syntax
4. Opinionated virtual runtime vs native runtime (aka what does the
scheduler do)
5. Speed vs safety

In addition, languages make decisions early about

1. Build system/ecosystem
2. Code organization (module/objects/headers)
3. Static typing (templates) vs runtime typing (reflection)
4. Embedded vs native execution

Having used in order of exposure BASIC, C, PHP, Javascript, C++, Java,
Lisp, Python, Ruby, Haskell, Erlang, Lua, R, C#, Elixir, Rust, and
probably a few more I'm forgetting, I've concluded that there is no
war. Only a series of tradeoffs that should be considered for each
project.

However, it *is* true that languages have varying degrees of technical
debt due to poor decisions made early in the design of the language.
For example, Javascript was meant to be embedded into small webpages
as simple scripts to manipulate the DOM and transfer small chunks of
data back and forth from the server via JSON. As a result, JSON is an
inefficient protocol and build tools and modules aren't natively a
part of the language. PHP was also written in a time when web
applications were smaller and so the OO part of PHP wasn't introduced
until much later, which had tons of its own warts (inconsistent API,
oddities with static members, etc.).

I think the real war that should be waged is the one between people
who think that there is "one true language" and those that are more
polyglot oriented.