On 3/31/2012 4:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 03:06:09 +0800 KHMan wrote:
[snipped all the junk]

You spoke of cultures. In the culture from which I come, there's
nothing funny about saying someone is unethical. Smileys won't
eradicate the insult or the damage, especially given that a lot of a
person's professional persona is connected to their reputation on
technical mailing lists.

You didn't say sloppy originally, you said, "if you were properly ethical".
Huge difference, not funny, not cool.

I'll make this brief and end this thread. Rather than validating the behaviour of people baying at the slightest perceived slight, here is the other side's view:

(a) It was never intended to be funny. It was mild sarcasm. All those guesses ("funny", "angry") are wrong.

(b) I didn't write "unethical" or diss about professional ethics. Rather, it points to poor rules of conduct in tossing around GPL code without regard to others.

Or maybe people should write like they are walking on eggshells and self-censor every single thought and opinion that differs from that of the mob.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)