This thread made me jump.

Since I discovered the Raspberry Pi, I have been working night and day on the linux port of lubyk [1] and this hardware will be one (if not *the*) primary hardware target for lubyk. The plan is to produce a plug & play OS image (and even sell sd cards if needed) so that when you start the Raspberry Pi:

1. You see it instantly on the network (no configuration needed)
2. You can start Lua processes and start live coding
3. You have full access to the GPIO by dragging an rpi.Gpio prototype (lua script)
4. You can build a network by sending messages across these beasts (and bigger monsters too).

I did not send an email on the mailing list to keep it as a nice surprise, but I just couldn't resist.

The initial debian based OS will include modules for OpenGL ES scripting (shaders programming), low-level hardware access and as said before, all the networking, scheduling and inter-process communication stack of lubyk.

This hardware associated with the ease of use of lubyk is an artist's, educator and low-fi game designer's dream platform. You can even use a dedicated Rpi for each project, making exhibitions and installations *much* easier to show multiple times.

If anyone is interested in this ready-to-use OS image and would like to see some specific lua libraries in there out of the box, please let me know so that I can include them.

Cheers everyone,

Gaspard, floating two meters above the ground.

[1] linux commit frenzy https://github.com/lubyk/lubyk/commits/master
[2] lubyk on linux http://lubyk.org/en/post402.html

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Gavin Wraith <gavin@wra1th.plus.com> wrote:
In message <CA+ZMS_s1g6Ey-CXThTJaU4bBVWFO18Kx4scYMuOGOiHzgCS5ow@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> And look, RISC OS!  Gavin Wraith can jump right in there!

He already has! See this page of proposals for software to be bundled with
RISC OS for the Raspberry Pi.
http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/Raspberry%20Pi%20disc%20image%20proposals

The open-sourcing of RISC OS, the appearance of lots of ARM machines
as suitable targets for porting and now the Raspberry Pi project, these
have been a tremendous morale-boost for the mostly ancient RISC OS
community. Why we might even get some young people playing with it
again!

I have already "registered interest" in getting a Raspberry Pi. When the
frenzy has died down I may be able to get through to where I can actually
buy one. I look forward to compiling Lua in Linux on it, too.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/

--