Hi,

I just decided I would start a thread about Raspberry Pi, in the hope
that some interesting and stimulating information could be gathered
from other people.
As you probably know, a few days ago the Raspberry Pi [1] "computer"
was launched, at $35. It is a "single-board" computer, looking more
like a microcontroller than a computer as we normally conceive it, but
nonetheless a real computer system (running a Linux distro). The
thingy is quite impressive, I must say.

This opens vistas that were previously unthinkable: a dirt cheap
"computer" which at the same time is fairly powerful (given its price)
and can be used to interface with a virtually unlimited range of
peripherals (as in "home automation", for instance). I don't know if I
am the only one who feels like a revolution is at the horizon.

Now, coming to Lua, what strikes me as most is the *absence* of
support for Lua, especially considering the fact that (according to
Wikipedia), the Raspberry Pi unit will support several programming
languages: Python, BBC Basic, C and (shudder) Perl. But no mention of
Lua, which is my opinion would be the ideal candidate (ok, Python too
is fine...).

We already know from the eLua project that Lua can be a good embedded
language. In fact I was expecting eLua to jump at this tremendous
opportunity. But instead a post by Bogdan (eLua's author) on his blog
[2] indicates that he is not interested.
I am quite disappointed, because at this point there are no projects,
from I understand, that are willing to make Lua work on the Raspberry
Pi.
Bogdan, are you there? Please reconsider your decision. I think you
must not miss this boat at any cost...

What do you guys think about it?

--sergei

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi