I would like to put this very clearly: I am very much against the
prospect of Lua 5.2 breaking ANY script written for 5.1.

It's just a pain and it changes the impression of Lua being something
that "just works" to something that "breaks when you upgrade it".

Python did this with Python3 and I am still hating that. "print is now
a function"? Oh please. Let's just break the most widely-used language
construct for no reason.

Python has not been the same since the 2/3 rift was introduced. I
really really really want Lua to avoid this. 5.1 has a huge basis
which is very important to keep sane and working IMO.

Stefan