Hey there.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Petite Abeille
<petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Stefan Reich wrote:
>
>> Why break any existing code if the solution is just adding another
>> function in the library? I totally don't get this.
>
> Because, as we all know, setfenv is SCARY!!!! :P

No it's not :) It's beautiful and ultimately the primary reason why I
use Lua. So I am kinda sensitive when its existence is threatened.

> Or, as Roberto puts it, "too powerful" [sic].
>
> But, of course, this is all hogwash as set/getfenv can simply be reimplemented in terms of _ENV if one wants to.

Ah. So something that was "too powerful" is replaced with something
even more powerful? Hmmmmmm......

> So it looks like a political decision to summerly execute setfenv now that it's out of favor and reeducate the masses to worship _ENV instead.  As someone said, "We've always been at war with Eastasia".

I don't participate in war. I was under the impression that Lua is a
peaceful language and was hoping that it stays that way.

Stefan