I completely agree with David and Javier, Lua having a new GOTO
statement doesn't mean you have to use it at all, and if the new
introduced syntax breaks somehow your scripts, then deal with it and
change it. Lua 5.2 has also broken my code (not scripts but C/C++ and
runtime )  too in a more fundamental level, but I managed to solve it
to support lua 5.2...

... also you can stay on lua 5.1.4, there's nothing wrong with that,
if it works for you now, why change it?.

Cheers,
   JL.

--
  Jose L. Hidalgo Valiño (PpluX)