in the case of callbacks for now, you must write c code.. and you must
have the lua_State handle to pop out the function from the stack..
(and consequently..the other args)

dont know of lua api function to get current state(anybody?).. so if
it its not possible to get the current state..
then you will have to start your app from C.. and control "your" own
state (thats not bad.. even a good practice of app isolation but
requires more work)

if is possible to get current lua_State and pass it as parameter
things get lot cheaper (in LOC)