On 23/03/11 11:22, Mike Pall wrote:
[...]
> - The bytecode format is somewhat stable
> - and I find a good external bytecode representation
> - and either I get bored and will do it on my own (unlikely)
> - or someone sponsors the development of bytecode saving/loading.

As a random thought...

Would LuaJIT's bytecode lend itself to decompiling back into Lua source
code? Not necessarily *readable* source code, but something that could
be compiled again into the same bytecode. This would make the first two
problems go away, would obviate the need for a reader, and would solve
the issue of dumped functions not reloading due to bytecode format changes.

│ "Thou who might be our Father, who perhaps may be in Heaven, hallowed
│ be Thy Name, if Name Thou hast and any desire to see it hallowed..."
│ --- _Creatures of Light and Darkness_, Roger Zelazny