On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 07:47, KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/2011 3:29 PM, steve donovan wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM, KHMan wrote:

>>> O'Reilly will not be beating at your doors, taking you to lunch. Don't
>>> start
>>> thinking now that you are the king of the world like Joanne Rowling...
>>> :-)

>> I had the misfortune to publish a book in late 2001.... well, I did
>> get an advance. But dreams of giving up the day job were short-lived
>> ;)

> :-) But you got one in before they go the way of the Dodo...

> Anyway, for others, this "transfer of copyright" proposal does not mean in
> any way that "there will be a book". It simply means the option is made
> available on the table, is reasonable, and there is a minimum of messy
> roadblocks.

My view:

1. There will be an e-book. (I surely hope so!) This is the goal for
this project.

2. The e-book would be free for all, on the terms of some liberal
license. Currently it is CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 for the content (the same as
ProGit) and MIT for software. IANAL, please suggest better
alternatives.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

3. Signing a contract with commercial publisher and gaining profit
from the paper book sales *is not* the goal of this project. The goal
is to write a Lua Cookbook for the community.

4. There is a chance that the book will be published on paper. Many
readers (myself included) prefer printed copy to the electronic one. I
do not plan hunting for a publisher, but there are print-on-demand
services like LuLu.com or Amazon CreateSpace:

http://www.lulu.com/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200354160&ld=AZOnDemandMakeM

Making the book available there looks like a viable option.

I'm not sure (and did not research this), but, maybe, we can do it in
some non-commercial non-profit way.

5. I like the option with giving commercial publishing rights to Lua
Team. But we may have a hard time finding a legal solution that suits
all authors.

Anyway, it is too early to speak about publishing — we didn't write a
line of text yet. All I'm concerned about is not to make some stupid
legal mistake now that will give us a headache in the future, when and
if the publishing rights would matter.

Alexander.