On 1/6/2011 2:55 PM, Marc Balmer wrote:
Am 06.01.11 07:20, schrieb KHMan:
On 1/6/2011 2:08 PM, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 09:19, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
Yes, free and online, that is correct. (That does not mean that it can
coexist with paid printed version as it is with ProGit, but, I
imagine, that to make printed and paid version possible, we would need
to overcome a lot of legal hassle.)

How about simply asking all contributes to agree with CC-BY 3.0?
(without SA and NC)
This would open the way for any editor able to convince a publisher
to print it.

That is the tempting idea.

However, I'm afraid of the angst that can arise among the contributors
if someone manages to publish the book and pocket the money.

Prospective contributors, please say your opinion.

2 cents. Sign copyright forms to give copyright control to Roberto&  Co,
since there is an entity already in place in the Lua source code
license. Then if there is a book, proceeds will end up in support of Lua
and the community. It's only a cookbook, this arrangement is a fair
option and there is no ambiguity.

Just to make this clear:  I will *never* assign my coprights to anyone.
  I am fine with giving away the right to publish or so, but the
copyright should really be with the author.

I understand your concerns. But this thing is a multiple author cookbook which IIRC seems to be already going on the Net in a CC license anyway. So I am proposing an option to differentiate author credit and copyright control in a reasonable way. There is no ambiguity on authorship.

Idioms and snippets are less valuable than the whole articles they have in Lua Gems -- arguably snippets are discussion of standard or recommended practice. They are also likely not purely the creation of the author and much will be learned from elsewhere or be identical to the work of others. So how much value would you put on that? Whatever loss of income resulting from signing away copyright will be minimal, I think.

And before some of you guys start day-dreaming about O'Reilly animals, note that IIRC the Lua authors had an aborted book project with them in the past. O'Reilly will not be beating at your doors, taking you to lunch. Don't start thinking now that you are the king of the world like Joanne Rowling... :-)

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)