 On 9/29/2010 4:43 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Tim Mensch<tim-lua-l@bitgems.com>  wrote:
>  The response of "get used to it" (AKA RTFM) is a classic apologist response
>  for a bad UI

the answer (mine, at least) is not "get used to it", it's "write
better libraries".

the choice between . and : should be evident from the semantic of the function.
The semantics are only evident to the expert. Is Lua intended to be designed to exclude people who aren't experts?

I get the difference. I really do. And yet a lot of users will NEVER get it -- people who I will want to be able to extend my game, or my app, or whatever. You're talking about an issue that, while it's obvious to an expert (i.e., almost ANYONE reading this list), it's STILL easy to make a mistake (especially if your life/job/habits/whatever causes you to ever use other languages), and it simply is never a good answer to tell your end users that they haven't tried hard enough to learn your product. That would fall under "blaming the victim."

Customers may not (individually) always be right, but if lots of people have problems with the exact same issue, then the problem isn't with the customers.

Tim