On 9/29/2010 9:57 PM, Nilson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Gunnar Zötl wrote:
[snip]
So I don't think your proposal is going to make it into the main lua codebase, and as far as I am concerned, that is a good thing.

I don't know the future of the patch - I already request comments
about it. (This is a cue to someone be rude - please don´t).

Nonetheless, make it a lua power patch and put it on the wiki next to the other dotty things, and it will probably find its users.

I am newbie here. If you read my previous messages, you will see that
I was asking for comments about the patch before I write it.  I
thought that I could use this mailing list with this purpose, am I
wrong?

There is some clear negative pushback. Here is one more, of the preachy nonsense kind. One big target you painted on yourself is the big claims on performance increase -- based on instruction counting, uh, estimating.

On its own, constants is a cute tweak to Lua, as are things like more explicit OO. But don't over-market it... If you are going to brag about performance, do some sensible benchmarking. In a Facebook world, hot air is too cheap to measure these days.

I think they are great as power patches. If anything, it helps to expand the possibilities with real sample code and benchmark measurements, rather than speculation. Just don't work on this in the anticipation that your patches will be hailed as marvels of a coding god.

I think many new faces here are not yet acquainted with the wisdom of Antoine de Saint Exupery.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)