Am 29.09.2010, 22:27 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Eykamp <chris@eykamp.com>:
On 9/29/2010 12:19 PM, Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
Sorry, I'm a bit tired of these kinds of (minor) suggestions.
Designing languages according to the boilerplate of other
languages is certainly no good idea. There are always languages
with other conventions. "->" means in erlang "return" for
instance. May be you are not used to these languages, others
are. If you use Lua, use Lua and become familiar with syntax
and idioms.

My suggestion was not to make Lua more like any particular language, but
to increase the "cognitive space" between two very similar concepts;
towards that end, -> was an arbitrary choice.  I'm not proposing or
requesting changing Lua, but mainly expressing sympathy for the design
goals that Nilson was working towards.

He wants to unify two confusingly similar concepts to reduce common
mistakes and errors, and I do too.

There are no confusing similar concepts. Dot is "get value" and
colon is "call". Easy to grasp, isn't it?

Anyway, I won't argue anymore, may be a matter of taste...