On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 22:18 -0300, Norman Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Phoenix Sol <phoenix@burninglabs.com>
> wrote:
>
>         I humbly submit that the 'do nothing' approach is likely best
>         with
>         regard to the LUA sacrilege.
>
> I agree. The idea of making a website whose entire point is to
> ridicule people who are too new to Lua to know not to write LUA comes
> across as unfriendly and petty.

Yup. When a newbie arrives here what is on his mind is fear that
something he doesn't understand (something stupid, say globals or how
holes in a array work) could mean he jumped the shark in choosing Lua
for his project and chances are he will have to explain to his
colleagues that he was a fool and everything will have to be rewritten
in plain C. He is actually, really, worried.

And instead of a friendly "don't panic, that is how it is supposed to
work and is actually doing what you intended", he gets explained how to
write Lua correctly.

Just leave him to learn that by himself, and then he will feel an
insider and will be able to point to other's posts and say, "heh,
another newb", and don't mention it wile writing an helpful answer. With
the satisfaction of knowing that HE knows. "Someday, you will also
learn" :)

J.