Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 16:09, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>>> Giving a link to http://www.lua.org/about.html#name is not good
>>> enough, as required information there is surrounded by a lot of other
>>> text.
>
>> That's a gripe I have with all browsers I know: they do not show that text
>> at the top of the page apparently because they don't want to show empty
>> space at the bottom.
>
> As I get it, browsers just "don't know" that there should be empty
> space at the bottom.

Toolkit scrollbar semantics of GTK+ disallow showing empty space at the
bottom.  The respective callbacks are not called when you try scrolling
further.

The developers very pointedly refuse to support any scrollbar semantics
which don't fit into their idea of "user friendliness".

That's been quite exasperating for Emacs developers, since an editor is
not a browser.  And as you describe, even in a browser empty space at
the bottom may make sense.

So if you want to display scrollbars, empty space at the bottom can't be
supported.  Not if you are going for standard toolbars in some toolkits.

--
David Kastrup