John Passaniti wrote:
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it really worth the trouble, to create a web page, register a
domain name, set up hosting, etc.
That, actually, could be fun. :-)

I'm all for fun.  But really, when I come across people who write LUA,
I just gently write "Lua is not an acronym" and that tends to be
sufficient.

I think this happens to most programming languages that aren't
acronyms.  I've seen references to mysterious languages like PASCAL,
JAVA, LISP (yes, I know the backronym), and FORTH.  Oh, and that goes
for other things too-- I've seen someone claim that they knew
Microsoft EXCEL, and that they enjoyed using LINUX.  And then
sometimes you see it go the other way.  BASIC started off as an
acronym, but Microsoft later came out with Visual Basic.

I don't think a web site saying "it's not an acronym" is needed.  But
then again, I don't think half the web is needed...

Oh, and often in organizations, it is the legal types who insist on some kind of bizarre capitalization standard (commonly ALL CAPS for a product name) and others will blindly follow suit, ostensibly to be pedantically and absolutely compliant to the letter of the law (ha ha). Of course, more business is generated for the legal profession, but it is merely a increased parasitical burden on society.

In these cases, I feel a caveman's urge to vigorously apply the larger end of my club on their heads. :-)

Gently nudging our fellow developers is good...

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)