This looks like a case where the Robustness Principle could be invoked:
"Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from
others." - in this case I would suggest that since upper-case is more
likely to be acceptable to broken clients, sending uppercase would
follow the first clause.

In RFC 1122, we read:
... host software should be prepared, not just to survive other
misbehaving hosts, but also to cooperate to limit the amount of
disruption such hosts can cause to the shared communication facility.

which I think is also apropos to this discussion.

--
Jim Mellander
Incident Response Manager

The reason you are having computer problems is:

firewall needs cooling