I have been talking to a Luasocket user who is static linking. They have
basic operation but then ask if FTP was ok.

When I tried the example it fails. Tried something that ought to work
and that comes back with remote server error.

A web browse finds this and is correct.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/210371/luasocket-ftp-always-times-out

Editing line 69 of Luasockets ftp.lua from "pasv" to "PASV"

Recreate the static linked Lua executable, then

print(socket.ftp.get("ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/app/dpart.txt";))

Magic, text is printed to console.

FTP is a troublesome protocol and the question arises of whether there
are other textual case problems. Maybe we need a test suite.

Tim