On 10/05/2008 21:38, KHMan wrote:
Unfortunately, I think a lower barrier may be needed. [...]  Even the installer
might have certain informational pages to ease the user into the
first steps. Also, sample scripts, etc. Stuff like that.

Of course, all of this needs resources and effort to support and
produce. But if it is to be targeted to beginners, we need to
mentally put ourselves in the position of a real beginner and see
what we can do to lower the barriers. Sort of a product usability
study.

It is funny that a somehow unfriendly message (coming out of frustration and lack of knowledge/proper reading) generated a (new) reflection (thinking) on how to make Lua more friendly for beginners (at least on Windows, where the need is probably the most pressing).

I hope something useful will come out of this.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France