Jim White wrote:
Thank you all for looking into this matter. As an update I have so far completed the first half of the tutorial in python and am quite pleased with this language. My frustration level is considerably lower now that I don't spend endless amounts of time going over documentation trying to gleam some knowledge that will allow me to begin learning how to program. It may have been a bit ambitious for me to expect this language to be a good starting point. My frustration voiced in my emails and post reflect a month of absolutely no progress. Right or wrong it took any pleasure out of what I considered an en devour well worth undertaking. I still see it as such. I just chose poorly which road to travel.
Lua isn't really meant to be a 'teaching' language. It's designed primarily as a programming for programmers to put into their own applications. So, usually all that a non-programmer would see would be an already installed and running application to do something else, with a scripting facility using Lua - such as you saw in your keyboard application IIRC.

This means that a lot of the documentation on lua.org is aimed at the typical 'market' for Lua, which is someone who is already a programmer and is quite technical. The 'learning to program Lua' resources generally assume it's already installed, since it usually is, either embedded inside another program, or by a techie to whom it would be all pretty obvious...

So, yes, I think you probably did choose the wrong starting point for learning to program. (Personally, I'd have probably downloaded Visual Studio Express C++, C# or VB depending on what you wanted)