PHP juggles between integers and floating point seamlessly;
>From http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.integer.php "If you
specify a number beyond the bounds of the integer  type, it will be
interpreted as a float instead. Also, if you perform an operation that
results in a number beyond the bounds of the integer type, a float
will be returned instead. "

Perhaps it is worth investigating the fine details of what PHP does in
this regard?