Personally, I don't think it's any worse than the current (unpatched Lua, doubles):

assert(x==y)	--passes
assert(x==x+1)	--passes

Is it?  :)

This only happens when integer arithmetics exceeds its natural boundaries (instead of overflow to negative integers).

The need for the patch "everywhere" is mainly a simplicity issue. What I know Roberto would dislike is a lot of ifdef's, and having int32/64 mode always there takes some of these away. I do think the boundary issues will need a few lines somewhere in the manual. But that's all; to me the benefits do outweight those few lines.

<<
Numbers provided as integers are treated with signed integer accuracy. If mathematical results fall into floating point, the values will remain in 'floating point realm' unless they're explicitly taken back by 'tonumber(x)'.

Example:
	a= 12
	b= 12/5		-- drops to FP realm
	c= b*5		-- 12.0 (FP realm)
	d= tonumber(b*5)	-- 12 (integer realm)

One needs to care about number accuracy only at the edges of integer realm. Otherwise, numbers work just the same whether they are internally stored as integers (12) or floating point values (12.0).
<<

Something like that..

-asko