Does someone have a reason why VM based real multithreading would have better performance?

Lanes can do stack-to-stack copying of values at thread creation, and return value fetching, since the other thread is not running free at those cases. Therefore, I don't see that VM support would significantly change anything. Maybe on systems which do a lot of message passing, something can be done. Other than that, the whole of Lua will fit in modern CPU's cache, and all the OS threads will use the same code.

Jailing user-provided code and simplifying programming are surely benefits. Even when running on a single core CPU. But also extension module based multithreading offers them conveniently.

-asko