"thread" just means exactly that, it's one coherent line of execution, it doesn't state if it's preemptive or collaborative.. It's like trying to differentiate between an apple and a melon by calling both of them fruit, and calling an apple a "fruit-apple". Hm,, that might have come out a bit fuzzy, but so is this whole discussion.. :)

I agree with Asko's point (a million emails ago) that Lua should only mention coroutines, since that is what is implemented, nothing more, nothing less. Throwing in "thread" in the same mix just makes things confusing, lord knows I've pondered over that a few times when I was hanging out with the cool kids at the Lua-kindergarten.

"Real" preemptive threading is something that should be incorporated deeper in the lua core though, as well as someone giving Mike Pall a 64bit cpu!, since both of those are utterly vital in the very near future...

Asko Kauppi wrote:

I don't think using that name in Lua would be much better than the current "threads". OS fibers can maybe be used with Lua coroutines, and again we'd be in terminology loose ground. Maybe "Lua threads" is okay, but the name of the type itself is still misleading enough. The rest is documentation "only". :)

-asko