On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:39:17PM +0000, Guido Sohne wrote:
> On 7/19/06, Sam Roberts <sroberts@bycast.com> wrote:
> >I think our apps are quite different from yours. We are targeting linux
> >server systems, and we don't care how big the exes are. I care about
> >being able to copy a single exe to target systems, and having it run.
> >Also, I care about not telling the team that builds the installers to
> >install not just a binary, but a directory tree of .lua files.
>
> Same issues here. By having a single deployable you don't have to make
> sure things don't get out of sync, you can update trivially.

Agreed.

I'm still not sure, but I think I will add build targets for creating
header files from lua source (char script_foo[] = { ... }, basically
hex dump into a .h) (after compilation to at least check they are valid
syntax). Won't use bycode, we build for 32 and 64 bit, and don't care
about speed, so lua src is ultimate in portability.

Then write my own require that perhaps looks in local directory for
"foo.lua" and if doesn't find it, loads the compiled in script, so I can
try quick stuff without rebuilding. At least thats my plan, still
haven't got around to it.

Sam