On Thu, 2006-26-01 at 10:16 +0000, Lisa Parratt wrote:
> > That's not a good comparison.  BASIC is hairy.  It's a horrible mess of
> > inconsistent syntax and hoary kludges slathered over hoary kludges.
> > Even C++ is only marginally more hirsute than a modern BASIC.

> But even a 5 year old can pick up BASIC! I should know, seeing as it was
> my first programming language (on my beloved C64 ^_^) at precisely that
> tender age.

Bah!  Youngster!  :-D

The relationship between C64 (or in my case C8032...) BASIC and modern
BASICs is... tenuous.  The language, never a beauty queen to begin with,
got uglier.  Much uglier.  With bizarre syntax like procedures not
having their arguments in parens and functions having them in parens --
unless you don't use the return value in which case you can't have the
parens and will get obscure syntax errors.  (!)

> > Lua makes... Logo?  Yeah.  Logo.  Lua makes Logo look hairy.  ;-)

> Never used Logo for more than quick doodles. I vaguely remember it
> *could* get a lot hairier, but that most people just used a real
> programming language instead ;)

Actually I never used Logo at all, so you're a step ahead of me.  :-)  I
moved from BASIC to Assembly (6502) of all things.  Talk about culture
shock!  I think that was why I became a language-agnostic programmer.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter@gmail.com, mtr1966@hotpop.com