From: "Keith Wiles" <kwiles@centurytel.net>
Every time I compile a new Lua I add the support for '!=', my old 'C' fingers have a hard time to making the change :-( I would love to see '!=' and '~=' get supported as a default feature of the language. Adding '!=' does not add very much code and it sure does make it easier :-)

/me gets out of the shadow

While at it... I didn't bother to check it out yet, but is there a real syntactical reason why '//' could not be used instead of '--'? (In a custom version like Keith said above?) Same for if-then-end vs if-{-}, etc.

Thanks,
Alen