On Tue, Mar 14, 2023, 11:18 Norman Ramsey <nr@cs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> I also highly recommend craftinginterpreters.com, although there is a
> bit too much Java for my personal tastes.

Thank you.  Coincidentally I ordered this book from Barnes & Noble and it arrived yesterday. I'll move it up the queue (after "Go for Java Programmers" and maybe the Rust book.)

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 10:45:37 AM CDT, Jonathan Goble <jcgoble3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that the use of Java is not great and I'd prefer that the first section be in a different language,
> but it's useful for learning basic fundamentals before you dive into the meatier C section.

As it happens the first language I got paid money to write was C, and the most recent one was Java. (Lua is just for fun / education.) Hopefully I can concentrate on the underlying techniques rather than the quirks of the two languages. The Lua upvalue example will prove useful, too; the language I've half-designed in my head uses lexical scoping and closures extensively.

Frank Mitchell