 > On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:53:46 AM CDT, Roberto Ierusalimschy
 > <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
 > > Next Friday I will begin to teach the second instance of the course
 > > "Building a Programming Language".
 >
 > Sounds amazing. But, much as I'd like to build a compiler or interpreter
 > some day (even if for a class) I have neither time nor money for a formal
 > compiler class. I'll have to look into LPeg and (if I can find the time)
 > study a local college's course materials on the instructor's Web site.
 >
 > Anyone on the list have suggestions for self-directed study?

You are welcome to poke at my class "Simple Virtual Machines and
Language Translation" (https://www.cs.tufts.edu/cs/106/).  The virtual
machine is based on the Lua VM.  All the materials are available
online, but it's designed to fit into a curriculum and may not stand
on its own for self-study.

I also highly recommend craftinginterpreters.com, although there is a
bit too much Java for my personal tastes.

Norman