> I suspect the problem is the egcs-1.1.2 preprocessor not understanding
> long longs, but I haven't investigated enough yet to be sure.

That's quite likely. In C89, the preprocessor works with long, not
long long. It is weird that it does not accept a macro defined by
the compiler itself (LUA_MAXUNSIGNED is defined as ULLONG_MAX), but
that is life...

(The C89 standard requires that all values defined in limits.h should
be usable in #if, but ULLONG_MAX is not part of C89, so that is really
a gray area.)

-- Roberto