Philippe:

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 10:03 PM Philippe Verdy <verdyp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > And the Lua compiler could even eliminate "dead code" trying to assign a value to a variable that is never reused later.
>> That's a slippery slope. You could say it can eliminate the call to
>> the creation functions
> I did not say that: the calls to creation functions is not "dead code", it is still performed. Only the assignment (storage) of the return value into a local variable can be safely eliminated.

Please, read what you reply at, or at least the parts you quote.
English is not my mother tongue, but I can differentiate between "You
said" and "You could say", and I suspect you can too. Had you said
"dead code" CAN be eliminated I would probably have used harsher words
than "slippery slope", but I do not expect such an easy shot from you.

Francisco Olarte.