I do not know what limit you have ( I worked with microcontrollers

I was thinking about something with 320-640kB RAM and 1-2MB Flash, no MMU.
Would that be good enough? Let me know your thoughts.

eLua is especially interesting because they have create read-only tables that are mapped to Flash, thereby reducing the RAM consumption.
I am not sure I can 'port' this to the latest Lua 5.3 or 5.4 however. I mean, I can, but it takes time. I am not too familiar with the Lua code yet.

I was thinking about reserving part of the Flash for a small fast filesystem. The system also has an 8GB SD card, so there is also a slow big filesystem.
The SD card will be visible as a USB mass storage (MSC class) when the system is connected via USB to your computed..

Also, when the system is connected via USB there is a Virtual COM port (CDC class) therefore you can send/receive characters to a serial terminal emulator running on your computer (e.g. TeraTerm). At boot the FW could check for something like "autorun.lua" which is run if it is found in one filesystem; if there is no autorun script, it can start a REPL/shell.

All in all quite similar to what eLua was doing. I just removed some feature that was present in eLua (they can always be added back, e.g. TCP/IP support).

Does this looks good from your point of view? Anything that I may have overlooked?

Just be careful on taking the manuals as a normative reference, I used

I am not sure I understand. Why I should not take manuals as a reference?
(BTW it is true that code never lies, comments sometime do)

   Andrea

--
Andrea Vitali