One thing first. Your noheaders, top posting email style makes this

My bad. I was not using my laptop to edit the quoted email and delete unwanted parts. Will do it.

Agree to what? Garbage collection is problematic? ( see, this is why I

I agree to the comments on dis/advantages of garbage collection. I am perfectly fine with Lua as it is today and would not do any change. It seems the sweet spot of simplicity and flexibility. As a programmer I can take into account that there is garbage collection. So I am happy with it for certain applications while for other applications I would not use it.

> Incidentally, you have touched the other topic which I find interesting: garbage collection - who knows if there is a way to make it automatic as it is done in Rust?

AFAIK rust does not do garbage generation, I think it does some RAII

I know. I oversimplified for the sake of the discussion. Let's say that rust is in the middle between completely manual memory de-allocation and completely automatic garbage collection.

Rust is touted as a systems programming language. These things are

Different languages serve different purposes. I am a C programmer and I am looking with some interest to related languages such as Rust (for its memory management) and Go (for its IPC facilities). Now I discovered Lua which seems to be the perfect companion - it can be the glue of the fast C libraries one can write.

I did not want to suggest that Lua should be modified in any way - especially to become what it is not (a language to write operating systems). Lua beautifully fullfills its design goals (simplicity and flexibility the top two). I amazes me how clean the syntax is, how simple and yet flexible the language is. I started sending some question on this mail list to dig deeper on some aspect I do not fully understand.

Thank you very much to you and all the others that have taken the time to reply to me.

   Andrea

--
Andrea Vitali