Andrea:

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM Andrea <andrea.l.vitali@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just be careful on taking the manuals as a normative reference, I used
> I am not sure I understand. Why I should not take manuals as a reference?

I've been told they are not meant to be it. Things like manual
interpretation have descriptions of behaviours which are not
guaranteeed. My particular clase was I thought the manual clearly
specified a reference stored in a block local variable guaranteed its
target could not be collected until block end, RI told me it does not
need to be so.

This IMO, means bug in the manual or the manual is not a normative
reference. Conversation led me to think it was the later, which was a
minor problem for me, I have already solved it.

> (BTW it is true that code never lies, comments sometime do)

That might be true, but if I encounter a discrepancy between a
reference and the code I report it and expect whomever can do it to
fix the code. And I do not count in behaviour not documented in the
reference because I know it can be changed by a minor update. That's
why I changed my current project, from using "Lua5.2+" to  "The copy
of lua 5.3.4 downloaded and checked in with the project, and
statically linked into it".

Francisco Olarte.