On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM Egor Skriptunoff <egor.skriptunoff@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:14 AM Coda Highland wrote:
I use a text-mode editor instead of a GUI editor

I don't see what prevents a text-mode editor from supporting calltips.
About 30 years ago the text-mode editor integrated into Turbo C 2.0 had already implemented handy internal help system: Ctrl-F1 displays information about the function under the cursor.
If you're using a minimalistic text editor lacking useful features don't blame Lua please ;-)
Lua is just an interpreter.  It should not solve problems of your text editor.
"Do one thing and do it well" (c) Unix philosophy

I never once blamed Lua. But it's a feature that Python has, and I use it. If Lua had it, I would use it. It doesn't, so I make do and I don't complain. But as long as we're on the subject, I'll pitch in what I'd like to see. :P

It's generally faster for me to tab over to the REPL and issue a quick command

You can convert Lua manual from html to plain text and open it in your text editor.
It would take less key presses to search for "funcname" in a text than to type "help(funcname)" in REPL

Mostly valid, but the nice thing about Python's help() is that it autogenerates property/method lists and function signatures, even for third-party code, even if there aren't any docstrings. (And if there ARE docstrings, well, bam, instant help file. Wouldn't work so well for Lua but it could at least look for comments.)

/s/ Adam