> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 8:47 AM Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
>
>> How was I unclear or neutral when I wrote "It's a bad idea?".
>
> That was not in response to "is this a problem worth solving",

So the OP's diatribe against globals is to be split in three parts,
each requiring that its predecessor is taken for granted.

(a) the status quo is bad;
(b) we need a way to specify whether a variable is global;
(c) one such way is to put a dollar sign in front of the name.

and one can agree with zero, one, two or all three of these.

It does seem to be an oversimplification to count only for and against.
Here is a finer classification (I have omitted the unclear ones):

0: Daurnimator, Sean, Marc, Petri, Pierre, Etiene, Dirk, Soni, Thijs,
Gregg, Enrico
1: Steven
2: Pierre-Yves, Viacheslav
3: Egor, Jakub