On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 5:12 AM Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 8:47 AM Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
>
>> How was I unclear or neutral when I wrote "It's a bad idea?".
>
> That was not in response to "is this a problem worth solving",

So the OP's diatribe against globals is to be split in three parts,
each requiring that its predecessor is taken for granted.

(a) the status quo is bad;

Status quo is neither good nor bad. It's just the Way Things Are.

(b) we need a way to specify whether a variable is global;

We already have that. Lua is well-defined.

(c) one such way is to put a dollar sign in front of the name.

Meaning, define a new language.

One of the great things about Lua is that it provokes these kinds of fun debates about language design. I don't see much of that elsewhere but in the end I think it's productive.