On 10 March 2018 at 10:41, Lorenzo Donati <lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> wrote:
> On 10/03/2018 07:33, Dirk Laurie wrote:

>>> I think you are mistaken. In fact, Lua is maintained by one man
>>> (Roberto) whereas LuaJIT has regular and sometimes large contributions
>>> from external contributors.
>>

>> May I recommend the book "Masterminds of Programming" by Federico
>> Biancuzzi and Shane Warden (O'Reilly 2009, e-book available) which
>> inter alia features an interview with Roberto and Luiz, from which
>> I'll quote one paragraph.
>>
>> Interviewer: How do you share development responsibilities—in
>> particular, writing code?
>>
>> Luiz: The first versions of Lua were coded by Waldemar in 1993. Since
>> around 1995, Roberto has written and maintained the bulk of the code.
>> I’m responsible for a small part of the code: the bytecode dump/undump
>> modules and the standalone compiler, luac. We have always done code
>> revisions and sent suggestions by email to the others about changes to
>> the code, and we have long meetings about new features and their
>> implementation.
>>

> This doesn't change the gist of what Dibyendu said. *Most* of Lua is
> maintained by one man (and development in general is done by two).

Okay here is my understanding.

Roberto pretty much is the sole developer of pretty much all of Lua
except the two bits mentioned above - don't believe that has changed
since 1995. You can do the maths in terms of percentage share.

Roberto maintains the bug list I think.

Luiz maintains the website, mailing list etc. Also the luac tool and
the dump/undump features in Lua, as mentioned above.

I don't believe any code is taken from anyone not even students.

I only pointed this out as folks comparing Lua and LuaJIT often
complain how LuaJIT is a one man show etc etc. In fact the two
projects are entirely similarly run when it comes to the core
codebase, with LuaJIT recently taking more external contributions.

Regards
Dibyendu