> I think you are mistaken. In fact, Lua is maintained by one man
> (Roberto) whereas LuaJIT has regular and sometimes large contributions
> from external contributors.

The nature of collaboration is often such that the tip of the iceberg
looks like one person only.

May I recommend the book "Masterminds of Programming" by Federico
Biancuzzi and Shane Warden (O'Reilly 2009, e-book available) which
inter alia features an interview with Roberto and Luiz, from which
I'll quote one paragraph.

Interviewer: How do you share development responsibilities—in
particular, writing code?

Luiz: The first versions of Lua were coded by Waldemar in 1993. Since
around 1995, Roberto has written and maintained the bulk of the code.
I’m responsible for a small part of the code: the bytecode dump/undump
modules and the standalone compiler, luac. We have always done code
revisions and sent suggestions by email to the others about changes to
the code, and we have long meetings about new features and their
implementation.