The trouble is that the Lua ecosystem has become so fragmented after
5.1. The changes in 5.2/5.3 seem to have been very unpopular and split
people among three versions. There were always legacy programs written
in old Lua versions, but today people even start new projects in old
versions. Some collaboration between the LuaJIT team and the PUC Lua
team will probably be necessary if the issue is ever to be resolved.
Unfortunately, this seems more unlikely than ever.

Also, Google project announcements do not mean much. Many are "20%
projects" that die within two years. See e.g. unladen-swallow.