On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:08 AM, Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
> On 18 January 2018 at 23:19, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We (the Lua team, not the Pope) certainly have issues with this name.
>>> Although we do not like, several people use the term "PUC Lua" to refer
>>> to our distribution (as opposed to, say, LuaJIT). And the problem with
>>> the University is quite real, too. Please do not use PUC in your project
>>> name.
>>>
>>> -- Roberto
>>>

>> As I replied on a different thread name, I thought I would copy my
>> answer to here for historic searches:
>>
>> Apologies, Roberto, you have said that before and in my excitement I
>> had forgotten. ‎That, or being Catholic myself I have learned it is
>> easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. (just kidding, I
>> totally forgot)
>>
>> All jokes aside, I am now soliciting name suggestions as Drop-N-Go Lua
>> sounds tacky and that's the only other thing I can come up with.
>
> If you're willing to go beyond the Lua interpreter, you could talk to
> Ryan Pusztai
> and take over the name "Lua for Windows", since that project is looking for a
> maintainer:
>
> https://github.com/rjpcomputing/luaforwindows
>
> -- Hisham

I wrung my hands thoroughly about LuaForWindows as well as LuaDist. If
either of those projects started up again, I would gladly contribute
what I can and would point people in that direction. For me, the
maintenance on those kinds of projects is too high for the time I
spend in Windows [1].

Russ

[1] My primary concern is for getting FreeBSD up to snuff and get
LuaRocks integrated into the ports system, but that's a long term goal
(and I'm also working on dotnet core and mono). FreeBSD is where I
perhaps have some interest in LuaDist and that *could* create some
shared efforts. However, my current target package manager for Lua is
LuaRocks due to it's current popularity.   Again, the cross over
between LuaDist and LuaRocks and my loose familiarity with LuaDist
make this something I still need to digest.