Soni They/Them L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2017-11-29 11:25 AM, Paige DePol wrote:
>> Soni They/Them L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Cratera is meant to be a tiny patchset (currently ~60 lines) for a single
>>> feature: traits. This feature requires many more lines of code. Not to
>>> mention Cratera is not meant to be SELua. :)
>>  Ahh, okay, I thought you were working on a larger fork, sorry for any
>> misunderstanding. Though, I think my point still stands in relation
>> to making proposals, demonstrating their viability is still a good idea!
>>
>> What is "SELua"?
>
> It stands for "Security Enhanced Lua".

Ahhh, okay, so like SELinux then... I thought that's what you might
have meant, but searching for SELua didn't return any results that
pertained to Lua, just some pages for a game named Xenoblade. ;)

>>> I was told on IRC that the Lua team wants lexically scoped metatables. My
>>> proposal describes a relatively simple mechanism for implementing them.
>> Why would you want a metatable to change when the scope changes?
>
> Modules, mostly.
>
> `"%s %s" % {"hello", "world!"}` without affecting other modules/the main program.

I am sorry, but I don't understand the backtick string you've posted?

So, the idea is to allow default metatables to be changed for specific
modules, which will only be in scope for the module code and will not
change the default metatable for the rest of the program?

~Paige