> On 08 Sep 2016, at 17:52, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>
>> [OT] Why did Lua go C99 with long long?
>
> Probably because of the ubiquity of 64-bit machines in recent years
> combined with support for long long in mainstream compilers.

A consideration might be that hardware is becoming more and more capable and hence it makes more sense to include some basic functionality. Even small embedded systems quite often have filesystems these days. Only the most extreme ones don’t and people working with those (as mentioned earlier) know their challenges.

And this is an ongoing thing, hardware will become more capable year over year. So I don’t know whether the tipping point has been reached already, but probably some where in the future it will. So to me it seems inevitable that those basics are included some time in the future. Question is when?

So maybe it’s not a bad idea to implement some optional extra libraries to experiment with and see what they might bring. I like the idea by Timm Mueller of some abstract interface.

Thijs