> I don't think lfs functions are left out of the standard libraries because
> the Lua maintainers would find that an extra bother. I think it is because
> the support libraries are not in core C, only in C compilers that support for
> example Posix extensions.

These are two sides of the same coin. They are left out because we find
that an extra bother because they are not part of ISO C. Not being part
of the standard makes them more bother to implement, more bother to
test, more bother from people asking for new platforms, more bother for
people asking for platform-specific options [see the list right now],
etc. ISO C gives us a clear line where to stop.

-- Roberto