On 12/05/16 04:51 PM, Nagaev Boris wrote:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Viacheslav Usov <via.usov@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

   I think he wants something like:

         global x        -- define a global x
         function foo(a,b)
           local c       -- define a local variable
           c = a * b + y -- compile time error---y not defined
         end

I am not exactly sure. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am
that, in principle, it is enough for the explicit mode to remove the current
syntactic sugar that converts anything not defined as a local into a global
table lookup. This will eliminate the silent promotion of mistyped locals
into globals, and the need to type the ugly _ENV will always be a reminder
for users that globals are not exactly cheap.

But I am not going to insist on that.

Cheers,
V.

Hi,

you can use luacheck as a library and filter warnings to keep only
warnings about global variables. For example, you don't want "unused
variable" warning, but want only "using global" warnings - it is easy
to implement.

By the way, without any globals, how can one use normal globals like
"print", "math" etc? Always declaring them is annoying.

_ENV.globalname?