On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
> I be would very glad for a solution to the problem "to run this Lua script,
> you just have to...".

One solution is a fat Lua binary - modern users don't particularly
care that the interpreter is now 10megs, but they hate dealing with
"lots of little files". (That was the motivation behind luabuild) I
had a very satisfactory experience with such a fat all-batteries
included binary download (pgweb, written in Go) recently.

The package manager situation in Windows seems very immature, at least
in the form we recognize it from other systems. In Linux, LuaRocks is
a system package, and so it makes a good gateway for application
delivery.

If one's just interested in Debian-like systems, then just give people
a .deb - they know what to do with that.  I did a little packager
called ldeb for wrapping scripts with any Debian Lua dependencies.

I suppose what Windows users want is a nice one-click installer, and
what we would then need is an easy way to make custom installers.

steve d.