I have the perception that >90% of the rocks available on the primary
repository provide modules and <10% provide applications, and the
suspicion that 10% is a very generous estimate.

Yet I find it hard to believe that 90% of the time of a typical Lua
programmer is spent in developing tools and 10% in developing
applications.

I can think of several possible explanations.

1. Many of those modules are really stripped-down applications.
Just wrap them with I/O or a GUI, and presto!
2. Most of what we really do is confidential and can't be shared.
3. We are prepared to polish and document our tools but the
effort is just too much for the application.
4. We just don't think anybody else would be interested in the
application.
5. The whole way that LuaRocks is structured encourages the
module approach to the point that nothing else really fits.